My Tunes

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wildairo leads.

Photobucket

This photo was taken with my cell phone.
I like to go out and work with Wildairo in the evenings when it's cooler, he's eaten, the wind had died down and I have either Brad or William there for moral support.

I took his halter on and off about 15 times. At first few times he stepped back and threw his head up for some reason. That really bothered me because he hadn't done that before. I'm a klutz with ropes and the 'Be Nice' rope halter kept getting in a tangle. I was putting it on his nose first and trying to sort out all the other parts and that was what was causing him problems. Finally I just put the part with the metal buttons behind his head and just slipped the nose band over his nose, tangled or not. Once the felt the pressure from the metal buttons when he threw his head, up he quickly stopped doing it and gave me his head. No more problems. I really like the 'Be Nice' halter because the problem was nipped in the bud very quietly and calmly. It was designed for horses that pull back.


I can only walk slowly and the ground in his pen is very uneven and has some large rocks in it. But he had a real good leading lesson. Actually he acted like he's been doing it all his life and it was almost like a waste of time. When I stopped, he'd stop. He kept looking at me as if to say 'lets do something more interesting'. I dare not lead him around the farm because I cannot walk very good at all yet. When I tried out the 'Be Nice' halter on my old Foxsun, he even walked too fast for me. I will have to ask Brad to lead him about.

So far these are the thing's Wildairo hates; The filling of his trough because he thinks he's going to get squirted. (I'll get him over that). Most of all he hates being made to trot/canter around the corral. It really seems to frighten him so I'm not going to do it again. The corral is too big to be able to work him properly and it's rocky. If I had a round pen it would be different and he'd understand what I want of him very quickly, but this corral is huge and he thinks he's being chased. Wildairo also hates it when I give some of his apple to one of the baby calves who live next to him. I've never had a bovine eat an apple before so I think it's cute. Wildairo hates it.

AUCTION UPDATE. I still have the highest bid of $145. The other person bidding on Wildairo's homeboy is also bidding on another horse. I wonder if they want two horses or just want to see which one they can get cheaper. So far they are alone bidding on the other horse.

1 comment:

Cheryl Ann said...

I'm working with our two little mustangs on leading and haltering, too! One is very calm and gentle (the little palomino). She even ties now. The other one, the little roan...er....well, she's a work in progress! I enjoy reading your blog! You give me inspiration for my two fillies!