My Tunes

Monday, May 25, 2009

Foxsun is eating like a horse.

Foxsun is looking remarkably well. When I was with him 2am Saturday morning I was worried he wouldn't make it through the weekend. Even the vet thought he was acting and looking like a goner.

He's been getting his meds in the morning, followed by some sweet grain because he refuses to eat his senior ration, then he's turned loose for most of the day. Today I bought him the Red Cell the vet recommended. I may squirt it in his mouth because I don't want to chance him refusing to eat his grain. He trotted out of the gate with Brad leading him this morning! Although he did cough a bit which I'll have to talk to the vet about.

Saturday he spent most of the day resting under shade trees. Sunday he spent most of the time grazing in the meadow. Today he stayed close to the house like a big garden gnome.
Photobucket

He is so skinny and his winter coat is still slowly coming out.
Photobucket

He wandered into an an area full of new plantings. He walks carefully between the little yellow flags marking the tiny trees. This is a tiny Japaneses maple.
Photobucket

This whole area smells so lovely because of the chokecherry, lilac and honeysuckle blossoms.
Photobucket

He could have gone into the meadow and ate tall orchard grass and alfalfa but today he seemed to prefer the lawn grass. He took naps under the apple tree.
Photobucket

I think he wants to know why we didn't do this years ago.
Photobucket

He's very alert and tonight was nickering for his evening grain. The combination of bute and antibiotics have really made a difference. I also think that getting him out of the lonely horse corrals and closer to us really boosted his spirits. It's really fun to have him right outside the house. He got a million cuddles and kisses today.

2 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I'm so glad he's feeling better. I hope he continues the upward trend! It must be really hard for you. Sounds like having him right outside is great for both of you.

Kara said...

That's so great that the meds are making him feel better! Ditto what Andrea said. I'm rooting for him...he should have many good years left if you can kick the problem.