My Tunes

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Echo becomes a halter boy.

I worked over Echo for three hours last night. The first thing I did was put his halter on. (Cell phone picture).
Photobucket

I had to put my soft rope around his neck to bring his head closer. I had put some twine on the crown strap so I could pull it up and over his head once I got the nose band on. I saw a man from the BLM get Wildairo's first halter on like that. I'm pretty short and Echo was holding his head pretty high, so I put the twine through the loop at the end of my riding crop. Brad saw the struggle and helped out. I was trying to hold on to the soft rope, the crop with the crown strap tied to it and keep the nose band up on his nose. (The words, cluster, monkey and football come to mind... and I don't know why. lol). Anyway Brad sorted it all out.

Now would be a good time to go to the top of the page and have a quick look at Wildairo having his halter put on for the first time....yep, they are all different.

We are making slow progress with Echo but he's lovely to work with although once again he was snorting at me and running away when I went into his corral. We got him into his little mustang trap without incident. He knows the routine. Once in there he feels safe. I think when he starts acting all snorty and evasive he scares himself and it escalates.

Last night I just made him feel comfy in his halter.
Photobucket

Foxsun showed up the other side of Echos chute and was tearing at the wooden boards with his teeth. I've never seen him do that before and the noise was really getting on my nerves. I kept trying to poke him in the nose with my crop but I couldn't reach him very well...then I found the perfect Foxsun deterrent, the flash from my camera. It made him run off yet Echo doesn't mind the paparazzi at all. Wildairo used to be the one who would create disturbances but since he's been allowed to go out he's happier. I gavehim an apple and a carrot so he didn't feel left out.

Talking about deterrents; the mosquitoes were terrible. I called and asked William to bring a can of spray. I sprayed myself next to Echo and he stood so still I sprayed him as well. He seems to prefer the aerosol can over the ones with the hand trigger thingie.

Echo loves his brother.
Photobucket

I didn't leave his halter on. He seemed calmer when I let him go this time. I had a little hay there for him to eat instead of running off. The moon was really bright and in the big pen he kept giving me gentle little bumps wanting me to feed him the rest of his dinner.

2 comments:

Linda said...

That is some GREAT progress with Echo. I love the pictures of him zoning out. He really does look like he's daydreaming. :)

Lea and her Mustangs said...

You are coming along so wonderful with Echo. He is so beautiful.
Wildairo too of course. A couple of awesome horses.