My Tunes

Monday, June 21, 2010

Day Three of Arlene's Garden.

Before I took over as head gardener (only gardener, lol) here the tree varieties consisted of Apples, a few Spruce, Cottonwoods and Poplars. The Cottonwoods were not doing well and eventually died.

The trees I have planted are English oaks, Crab-apples, Cherry, Birch, more Spruce, Camperdown Elm, European Weeping Beech, Willows, Flowering Ash, Crimean Linden, Sugar Maples, Locust, Plum and Weeping Mulberry. The oldest which is eleven years old, so they have some growing to do.

One of my favourite places is the Finch Arboretum in Spokane. When I started landscaping I had that place in mind.

This is my youngest English oak. The branches are very horizontal which I love. The leaves are a bit lighter green than they should be so I'm going to give it some extra iron.
Photobucket

Looking east; my five variety cherry tree in the foreground.
Photobucket

One of the Bluest Blue Spruces. Every evening the Quail come home to roost in the Spruce trees. We love to hear them all talking to each other before they settle down for the night.
Photobucket

In the foreground is an American Fringe tree, which really is a shrub. It's very late to leaf out but has lovely delicate blooms which are well worth waiting for. In the background is a Weeping Mulberry, which is also very late to leaf out.
Photobucket

This is English Oak is ten years old and is big and sturdy.
Photobucket

It, like many of my trees, has a Robin's nest in it. I love this tree!
Photobucket

I've been visiting the Weeping Beech at the Finch Arboretum for 33 years and love it so much I have been growing on in my garden for almost 10 years. Although it's going to many years before my descendent's will be able to have a picnic under it!
Photobucket

This is my Camperdown Elm. It is covered in scales every Spring and I have to blast them off with the hose.
Photobucket


3 comments:

JackieB said...

Your gardens are lovely! Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheryl Ann said...

What a beautiful tour of your trees! I love trees! We have 42 of them on our property. Guess I'll have to do a tour one day! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Wow--it does look like the finch Arboretum--how do you water it all?!? I'm absolutely impressed with this tour.