My Tunes

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My three wonderful horses.

I'm so lucky to have three beautiful horses.

Here's Foxsun's self trimmed hooves.

Photobucket

Yesterday my Morgan, Foxsun, was in with Cowslip, our very elderly blind cow, because Brad was feeding the cows something he shouldn't eat. When the herd left for the night he was left behind with Cowslip and was whinnying for his old cow wife, who had hung around for him for awhile then left to catch up with the rest of the cattle.

Brad went to open the gate to let him out but he got Cowslip's special dinner bucket first. Cowslip isn't digesting her food properly because her rumen isn't working very well anymore, so Brad gives her something special to eat that she loves. Hearing the sound of her bucket she went for anything that she heard moving. She walked right into the back of Foxsun who didn't mind because he's used to old cows, being married to one. Then she heard me and came after me. That was a sight! I was hobbling along as fast as I could and shouting as loud as I could so she wouldn't run me down and she was feebly staggering after me. It looked like a slow motion train wreck I'm sure. Foxsun saved me. He put his body in between Cowslip and me and very slowly walked with me over to Brad, even though the gate was now wide open and he'd been crying for ages to go and catch up with his herd. Once I was safe he went through the gate. The herd was about a mile away and he trotted west through the sagebrush and into the setting sun to find them. For twenty years he's been our dear horse pet. He's wonderful to ride too.

My pets look after me. Last year his old cow wife, Dandylyons and he got separated from each other and he went crazy galloping all over. He had about 300 acres to search and I could see her with the cows up on the bluff. I went up there as far as I could on my crutches to call her. She left the herd and came to me. Seeing I was having trouble getting back down the steep bluff, she let me put my arm over her back and walked very very slowly down. I was able to reunited her with Foxsun. I raised Dandylyons from birth and she loves people. She hates bulls so she hasn't had a calf for about ten years.

I did some wild Mustang fishing today with Echo. It gives us something fun to do together. Here he is trying to steal the bait right out of the plastic bag where I'd stuffed it. I was using fresh alfalfa as bait and pushing it through the loop at the end of my whip.

Photobucket

He watched me bait my 'hook'.

Photobucket

Then we had some fun. I can catch him down low or up high.

Photobucket

Photobucket

He loves to hang out with me. When I sit in my lawn chair he stands over me. Everyday he lets me touch a little bit more of his face. I touched his cheek today and wiped some stuff out of his eye. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to touch his ears and neck.

Wildairo holds no grudge against us for stabbing him in the neck with a needle and letting a stranger go one on one with him. In fact he loves his new feet and eagerly holds them up for Brad now.

1 comment:

Cheryl Ann said...

I think our (all of us) horses are lucky to have US! (tee hee!) I love your updates! Now I see what I'll be going through soon!