My Tunes

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A very stressful day.

This morning I was so disappointed that Echo seemed to back almost to square one. He wanted nothing to do with the bamboo pole and only came to me to nervously take hay from my hand. I felt like it was a set back and on top of that Wildairo is so much in need of a trim that I'm getting very worried. The farrier can't make it till the 25th and I worry that Wildairo will act like an idiot again. I was in a great deal of pain with my ankle and it was one of those days when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and wondering if I'd taken on too much.

I went in for lunch only to have William come in a few minuets later and tell me Wildairo kicked him! I was very upset but not so much after William told me what happened. Wildairo had his head deep in his big bucket and William came up behind him. Just as he got near a piece of corrugated metal, which had blown up against the fence in the wind storm, suddenly banged in the breeze. Wildairo's head shot up as caught site of movement behind him and fired off a hoof in the general direction of the would-be predator. His hoof missed William's leg but Wildairo's hock somehow made contact William's thigh. No bruise, no redness, but that didn't stop William from going on about it. I told him he was very lucky because he could have his knee broken and maybe now he will be more careful.

After lunch I sat in my lawn chair by Echo feeling forlorn and waiting for the pain medication to kick in. I put my hand out to Echo and said, "come on", he came over and I absent-mindedly stroked his face...then I realized what was happening!!! I got my cell phone and took a quick picture.

Photobucket


I stood up and called him to me and took another picture. This is what makes it all worth it!

Photobucket

He's scared of the bamboo pole but seems willing to come to me and let me touch his face. That evening when Brad came home I had him watch the gate while I cleaned out Echo's water tub. Then I walked up to him and talked to him till he relaxed enough to take a deep breath and lick his lips. He stood there so brave and after awhile he let me stroke his face. He even considered following me but wasn't quiet brave enough for that.

But thing's got bad again. I asked Brad to fixed a bit of fence in his pen. Brad was very quiet yet Echo snorted at him. When Brad turned slowly to come back out Echo lost it. He panicked and bolted into the fence. Brad, being used to bulls and mad cows started to climb out but seeing Brad get higher made Echo get worse so Brad stepped down and stayed really still. He was trapped in the far corner with Echo going berserk in a cloud of dust trying to escape. Brad told me to leave because he said my standing near the pen might be making Echo feel more trapped. So I went over to Wildairo, who despite the ruckus, gave me a very happy whinny. I couldn't see Echo and Brad because of the dust and I was pretty scared that in the cloud of dust Echo would trample Brad. When the dust settled I saw Brad opening the gate and leaving the pen. I hobbled over and hugged Brad and was so glad he wasn't hurt. He said Echo is just timid and wasn't trying to hurt him but get away from him. I noticed Echo had a bit of skin missing under his forelock where he ran head first into the fence board. I talked to Echo, fed him and called it a day.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Well, Beautiful was a timid one, too--so I relate more to Echo than Wildairo because of my experience. However, Beautiful was much smaller--a yearling. I think it's GREAT that he let you pet his face like that. Amazing. He'll build his confidence up--just takes time. Is Brad going to be there when the farrier is? Maybe if things go bad he can show him how to do it. I'm glad everyone's okay--that kicking incident was so much like mine. Beautiful had her head in her feed trough and my friend came up behind her and poured grain--and wham--wham--two hard kicks in elbow and leg and they were meant to do harm. Just a reminder that they truly are wild. Keep it up, Arlene--you're doing a great thing for these two horses and it will be rewarded!! Keep the posts coming.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day. Echo will come around, sounds like he just needs some time. A lot of mustangs do the "two steps forward, one step back" thing.

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting Wildairo's hooves trimmed. I wish I could come help. I like trimming hooves, but I'm slow as molasses. I wonder, if he won't stand for the farrier, could you find a woman farrier and see if that makes a difference? Or drug him, which I know would be hard, since the vet has to get into a vein. I wonder if you could give him an oral sedative like ace? Then follow up with the IV injection once he's calm.

Anonymous said...

Yep, give him some time. It's still VERY early on for him and adapting. Every horse is different, and even when they are completely gentled sometimes they may have a "bad day" and decide to be afraid of something so basic and familiar as the brush, haha. Good luck and try to enjoy the excitement, you will look back on it and laugh.

arlene said...

Linda,
I've been reading about other peoples experiences with their mustangs. Some people can't get near them for month's and then there are some people who can lead them in the first few days. So far Echo will only let me pet that little area shown in the photos.

Yes, Brad will be there when the farrier gets here. The two of them arranged it.

About the kicking; at the beginning Wildairo struck out with his front feet and would swing around to threaten with his back ones. I'd hit him with one of my crutches when he did and he learned to respect me because I stayed on top of it, but he will push Brad and William around if he can. I feel like I have to train them too. You have to be extremely forceful with Wildairo to get his attention. I have found out I can slap his butt with all my strengh and he doesn't flinch! I've never seen anything like it. Echo is so timid and has never tried to bit or kick, that I hope Wildairo doesn't push him around.

Andrea,
Wildairo is a big brat. The other day Brad picked his foot up and he ran backwards (no halter) but Brad kept up with him, so Wildairo let out this huge sigh and then held still on three legs. He needs a firm hand. I will try to find some Ace and try the lavender oil. If he's silly on monday I'll get the vet out. He's a very unusual horse and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet.
No, there's no lady farrier around here that I know of. Brad's not worried, he said "we'll get it done". I hope so.

Eric,
Thank you for your encouragement, I really needed it. Echo is a good little boy and I'm sure he'll come around and be fine. I can see in his eyes that he likes my company, he's just scared. He was in the BLM corrals for just over a year so he has people chase him about for a long time.
Thanks everyone for your support. You have no idea how it helps.