My Tunes

Monday, March 15, 2010

Levin's big day.

I had a surprise when I went to see the cows Sunday morning. Our boss cow, Levin had twins.
Photobucket

She's never had twins before. I called for Brad to come and check them out. They hadn't stood up yet and I was worried because we had a twin last year that had something wrong with her and she never did manage to stand.

I picked grass for Levin and put it in my sweater. Levin was born tame and has always eaten out of our hands.
Photobucket

She got her nose in my sweater and ate it all. As I was bending over picking up the spilled grass and she wrapped her tongue around my hair and tried to eat it. Later on when I was bent down talking to our heifer Sparkle, she also got her tongue around my hair and tasted it. Personally I think when cattle start eating your hair it's time for a new hair conditioner.
Photobucket

Brad checked to see if the calves could stand. Levin told him he was doing it all wrong.
Photobucket

And so she showed him how it's done.
Photobucket

Levin showed how you're supposed to kiss them and talk in quiet little moos.
Photobucket

"There, that's how the pros do it", Levin said.
Photobucket

Brad gave the twins some shots and put Levin in the chute so both calves could get an equal amount of colostrum. Colostrum is the first milk a mother has. It's a natural immune system enhancer and is essential.
Photobucket

If you look closely you can see the little calf.
Photobucket

A little door is removed and the calf can get to the udder. Levin acts like she does this everyday and is very calm. I gave her some more grass which she enjoyed.
Photobucket

Then Levin was let out so the other calf could suck on the other side.
Photobucket

The first calf fell fast asleep after his first meal.
Photobucket

Success! Wildairo was eyeballing them through the boards.
Photobucket

Brad had to carry this sleepy little fellow out to catch up with his brother and mum. And it looks like Brad is putting his animal science degree from WSU to good use....haha.
Photobucket

4 comments:

nikki said...

Oooh! I just love your cows. Those babies are adorable and so is the mom :) I wish I could hear her "moo talk" when she was coaxing her little one to stand up.

Linda said...

Sweet! I love to get a snapshot into your life on the farm. There's never a dull moment.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

What a couple of cuties! I'm glad they're doing okay.

JackieB said...

Thanks for the adorable cow and calf pictures. What breed of cattle are they? Or what breeds did you use to develop your herd?