My Tunes

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cats and Turncoats.

These pictures were taken Monday morning before the rain started. I took a walk in the garden in my jammies and the cats, who are always in their jim-jams ready for a quick nap, followed me about.

Here's Maxwell.
Photobucket

Maxwell is a Manx. He's doing very well after his operation. He's really changed. He's become playful, and has even tried his hand at hunting and wild horse wrangling. Right after his operation he struck out on his own to live off the land and become his own man. He was gone for four nights. He returned hungry and a changed cat. He ate almost two cans of cat food and slept off his adventure for a few days. Here's his surgical incision that's healing nice.
Photobucket

Here's old Andy. He has a bad eye after from a fight with the stray tomcat who's terrorizing everyone.
Photobucket

Here's Andy, Max and Muffin.
Photobucket

Here's Patches.
Photobucket

Tommy Two Tone has to watch from the window because he's too little and fool hardy to go outside yet. He has a giant paw.
Photobucket

The stinky stray Tomcat has been hanging around since last summer. He sprays everything and makes it stink. He's turned our cats lives into a living hell so Bobby is under strict orders to chase the Tomcat when he shows up and give him a good hard bite in the tail if possible to send him on his way. I couldn't believe my eyes to see Bobby Turncoat kissing this terrorist. I thought terriers didn't negotiate with terrorists.

BUSTED!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love the pictures and stories about your cats! Do you have a problem with coyotes? We do.

arlene said...

Our coyotes have a lot of rabbits, rodents, rock chucks (marmots) etc, to hunt here. They are creatures of opportunity though and will go after a pet if they come across one. I don't think they try very hard though to stalk our pets or chickens because there's abundant natural prey around for them.

I have found a few coyote dens over the years with baby coyotes inside. I leave quick so as not to disturb them. They don't attack the baby calves even though people will tell you they do. The cows are more wary of a stray dog than a coyote.

I think when the coyotes move into areas where there is not much natural prey they become a problem for pet owners. I like to see the coyotes hunting in the meadow. They hunt like a cat, wait, listen and pounce. It must be a lot easier for them to catch rodents then to get scratched in the nose by a cat. Bobby only chases them off the lawn and doesn't follow them far. I have had a few (stupid) dogs who chased them and would come home with bites on their sides. Brad had a dog when he was a kid who loved to chase them and fight with them and really used to get ripped up. The coyotes are just protecting their turf.

When the coyotes howl close to the house I shout at them or throw some of those really noisy fire crackers out of the door.

I'm sorry you have a problem with them. I sometimes think they get blamed for thing's they didn't have a paw in. I know some people who are always breeding barn cats and the tomcats chase each other off and they sometimes end up at our place or killed along our road. Yet the people keep saying that the coyotes keep killing their cats.

Also there are other predators like hawks, eagle, badgers, bobcats etc that could be responsible. A cougar was spotted around here too. But heck they are just following the increased deer herds. When I married Brad 25 years ago there was hardly any deer around. It was exciting to see one here. Now we have herds of 20+ walking around.

When I first moved here 25 years ago, I was walking my dogs on the bluff and two young coyotes joined us for the walk. They were trotting behind the dogs and everyone seemed OK with it.

I do like to ramble on, lol. I'm nervous about the farrier's visit tonight.

Pony Girl said...

I love these cat pictures! I've been browsing your blog posts and I love your photos and gorgeous pictures. The country where you live looks so wide open, I hope to live somewhere like that someday...lots of room!