My Tunes

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Slow but Steady.

Echo and I are making slow and steady progress. Every evening I spend a few hours with him in the little pen although Brad has to help me get him in there. He over excites himself when the two of us go in the big corral with him. I must say he's incredibly athletic and he was really showing us his wonderful 0 to 90 mph take offs and fast spins last night. I wasn't unable to walk very well and so for my own safety left the big pen and let Brad sort him out. Brad resorted to yelling at him and little Echo responded by quickly leaving the big corral like he was supposed to and standing in the 'willing horse position' in the little pen. Once he's in the smaller pen Brad leaves me to get on with it. I don't put him behind the gate but practice walking up to him just petting him. The first time I did it he ran backwards and when his bum hit the gate he froze and didn't try to move again. The gate wasn't latched so he could have escaped back to the big pen if he hit it a bit harder.

Every night we get more comfortable with each other. Last night I was grooming his mane with my fingers and running my hands down his legs. He doesn't wear a halter because I want him to stand there on his own accord for now. When I ran my hand down his left leg, just before I reached his fetlock he lifted his foot, I thought 'alright' but then he tried to hide his foot behind his other one. So cute! I hope he didn't think I wanted to bite his legs like Wildairo did.

He's really scared because at the start of our sessions his nose and lips tremble and his breath is all shaky too.

He still enjoys me singing to him. I think human talk to him reminds him of when he was being frightened in the BLM facilities. I think poor little Echo took all what he went through very personally, so I sing him little songs and he quickly calms down. I made up a little song called 'Echo the brave mustang' and he really enjoyed it and let me put my arms around his neck and give him a cuddle.

Here he is the other night when it started to rain.
Photobucket

Last night when I let him out of the small pen I went into the bigger pen with him and he let me touch his face and give him a kiss.

It's taking less time every night for him to calm down and I'm really pleased with our progress.

2 comments:

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Wonderful progress with a wonderful horse. I know he has it in him.

Linda said...

Sounds like he's doing great despite his fear, and he's starting to trust you more and more. It doesn't appear like he has a mean bone in his body.