My Tunes

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day Five of Arlene's Garden

Yesterday the ducks went on their maiden flight. They flew over me at a low altitude in the 'we can't believe we're doing this' formation. They landed on the lawn behind the house with surprised looks on their faces. As they say, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing".

The last day of my Garden Tour I will be showing some new areas I'm developing. The first area I started two years and I'm dedicating it to mostly native plants. It's really coming along nice. I planted lots of tiny bare root shrubs and trees such as Chokecherry, Golden Currant, Blue Spruce, Service Berry and Elderberry. Last year I added two Maples, a Locust and a plum. This Spring I went completely nuts and planted some Lilacs and Viburnum. There's going to be a trail through the middle and hopefully it'll be all shady and woodsie.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's another new area. I've planted lots of shrubs such as different varieties of Ninebark, Lilac, Viburnum, Blue and Alberta Spruce and Summersweet. There are two groupings of shrubs and there will be a pond between them. Foxsun's grave is in the shade of the apple tree behind the little shrubs. To the left of the picture, in the distance, is the big barn and the little horse barn. I'm still planting shrubs in this area. I try to do a little everyday.
Photobucket

We completed the latest project on Sunday. Here's William bringing a large basalt rock in that Brad had drilled a hole through.
Photobucket

Father and son team.
Photobucket

It was important to set it right so the water wouldn't run in the wrong direction.
Photobucket

William seems to know what he's doing.
Photobucket

They plumbed it and now we have a nice little waterfall.
Photobucket




1 comment:

Linda said...

Amazing! I love the stories of your garden--I do a lot of planting, too. I've never thought of plumbing the rock for a waterfall. COOL!!