My Tunes

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I took a walk.

Today I took a walk to see Echo but first I went to see the birds. I think the ducklings are male and female...oh dear, we'll be over run with ducks soon.
Photobucket

I think if their darker breast plumage is in dots, it's a hen and if the dark looks more like stripes, it a drake. So, according to that, the big one in the back is a girl.

Jet Lag our rooster wanted to take me on. I took some photos of him and it kind of threw him off his game.
Photobucket

One day he rushed up to me to do this war dance and I kicked in his general direction to warn him off and my slipper flew off, so I picked it up and bonked him on the head with it. He didn't seem to notice and I think it's because he has that funny little red helmet on his head.
Photobucket

He's very good looking and he knows it.
Photobucket

Jet Lag rounded up his girls and with a big 'cockle doodle doo' took them off for a peck and scratch about.
Photobucket

I gave Echo some apples.
Photobucket

We have had a major break through thanks to a swarm flies. A few days ago we had a plague of those nasty biting flies that bite cattle, horses and even people. I put Echo in a very small pen so I could spray him, but the spray wasn't all that good and he still had some fly's biting him. He still didn't trust me, so every time he had to itch himself he'd back away so I didn't take the opportunity, while he was distracted, to rush him. I noticed he kept trying to scratch behind his elbow, so I did it for him.

Wow, that an eureka moment for him. In the past no matter what good rubs and scratchings I've given him, he's been too tense and scared to enjoy them. He'd stand with his head high, jaw tightly clenched watching me like a hawk. Well this time was different. I felt the bug bite on his skin and did my thing. His head stretched forward and he just loved it! I found lots of other bites on his body and went to town scratching them for him.

While he was on cloud nine, I took the opportunity to go were no girl has gone before. I gave him leg massages, belly rubs and even found some places in need of itching between his back legs. I even managed to semi-clean his boy parts. (Something that geldings need doing every now and again). He's got no kick to him at all! What a sweetie, he didn't even warn me off or get mad when I poked him with my too long finger nails. I tried to lift his front foot up but he backed up. I didn't have him on a rope because he's got that rope phobia thing going on that we have to deal with.

Today he showed me the mustang way off keeping flies off.
Photobucket
A thick layer of mud.

I gave him a belly rub which he enjoyed but he still kept his eye on me.
Photobucket

On the way home I met Max eating some grass.
Photobucket

Good old Max.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Kara said...

Jet lag looks a lot like our rooster, Rusty. Rusty is quite the mean rooster. My dog has the job of protecting me from him when I go to collect eggs and he does a great job.