My Tunes

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Get on the good foot.

Wildairo's new corral was finished enough for him to move in to today. We still have some clean up to do around the outside and his indoor area has to be finished.

Photobucket

I asked Brad to lead him out of his old corral, down the alley way and into the big corral. I thought it would good for Wildairo to be led into a strange area and be led around. He was very well behaved till he remembered he was a wild Mustang and all hell broke loose!

It's all caught on video and if I can figure out how to put it on here I will. Brad led him around a few times and I stood with William the camera man, telling Wildairo what a good boy he was, then suddenly Wildairo started kicking and bucking and pulled away from Brad. He did it twice, both times getting away and letting himself be caught again with no trouble.

I see some really bad behavior starting, off camera I sorted him out. I had Brad pick his hooves up and pick them out. Wildairo was being horrible, he would move forward or pull back. I'm not sure what happened but he decided to run off with me like he did Brad and I got mad. I was pulled along quiet fast, hopping on my good foot, somehow I managed to hang on and put the rope behind my back and onto my hip where I braced myself and yanked him around, all the time yelling "No No No". William was shouting, "let him go," because he thought I was going to get hurt.

Wildairo did that twice, the second time he wasn't as determined. Then I had Brad pick his feet up and pick them out again. When Wildairo came forward I pushed his head and said "Back", when he started to fly backwards or looked like he was about to, I yanked the lead rope hard and yelled "No"! When he held still to have his feet picked out I rubbed his head and told him he was a good boy.

I had to get tough with him like when we first adopted him and he had to be shown who's boss. Wow, I feel incredible. It the most fun I have had for years. As I get more capable of walking I'm more determined with Wildairo's training. I can't lead him very far because I walk too slow and I don't want to teach him bad habits like pulling.

It's become very clear he treats me differently than anyone else. He wouldn't let Brad put his halter on but has no problem when I do it. Also, when he was acting up on the end of that rope, and I yelled at him he really seemed to pay attention and looked right at me and calmed down. I thought it was wishful thinking but afterwards William said to me, "Wildairo was waiting for instructions from you when he was being bad". I used to yell "NO" at Wildairo when threatened to bite, strike or charge at the fence during those first weeks.

I didn't know I was capable of moving so fast let alone holding on to a wild horse, but I did it! My ankle is painful still, some days more so than others, so I'm always aware that it fragile and I try to be careful, but today was what life is all about, fun and excitement! I LOVE MY MUSTANG!

I was sitting in my lawn chair watching Wildairo and Brad was working on the baler the other side of the shop and it was very noisy. When he used a air nozzle to blow thing's out, the sudden loud noise made Wildairo take off around his big corral, he was having fun, but what struck me was how quick he is. He goes from 0 to 90 and he's so agile as he spins and bucks. Before I left him for the evening I made sure he'd introduced himself to the electric tape that's keeping him away from the rock wall (just in case). The introduction went well, Wildairo keeps far away from the 'biting' fence now. We opened up the alley way gate and his old corral gate so if he gets frightened in the night he can run home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Linda said...

Wow. What a day--looks like your up to the challenge. I'm not surprised he got wild--he was going into a new location and had to be tough! I haven't led my mustang out of her pen yet--she doesn't seem to want out at all. It's safe. I'm sure I'll have a rodeo when I do, so I'm taking her on a long rope. :)