My Tunes

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wildairo puts up with me.

Adoption update;

I haven't heard from the BLM yet and I have no idea when #7915 is coming up here. Having extra time is good because the corral improvement turned into a big project. We took out the old wooden fence posts and put in sturdy ones made from old irrigation main line. I sent a halter and lead rope down to the Burns corrals for our new boy. I'm not sure about him wearing the lead rope for a 357 mile trip but I sent it anyway and I'll let them decide.

Photobucket

I got Wildairo a big bucket for his hay and salt lick. What I really like about these wild horses is everything is so new to them. When I put the bucket over the fence his reaction was so comical. In his usual fashion he stood his ground, but his ground was some distance from the bucket and he stretched out his neck and nose to sniff it. I dropped baby carrots in the bucket and the sound concerned him but not as much as those carrots going uneaten. He had to put his head right in the bucket to get them and was ready for that bucket to give him trouble but decided the carrots were worth it. Now the big bucket had become his most cherished possession.

Wildairo's feet are way past needing a trim. I've been very worried about the farrier being able to pick his feet up. I have picked them up and when he pulls away I can't continue to hold on to them because I'm doing good just to be able to keep my own balance. I had Brad pick his feet up while I sweet talked him and fed him carrots. He wasn't happy about it but he didn't get silly. Tomorrow our local farrier is going to trim Wildairo's feet and I'm so worried. I've always prided myself on having well behaved horses and I have no idea what Wildairo will do when a strange man approaches him and tries to grab his legs. I shall give the farrier carrots and apples to feed him because I have noticed Wildairo doesn't care who he takes treats from. Here's a picture of me 'catching' Wildairo to put his halter on. He had his head down eating, ignoring me, all I did was crunch on a carrot and he was mine.

Photobucket

I tied a big rag onto my whip and tortured Wildairo with it. The first time I put it on his back he gave a little tiny buck but didn't pull away too hard. A slight tug and he could get away from me so I think the 'Be Nice' halter works well. He thought a mountain lion might have been trying to jump on his back and to confirm his suspicion of cats being about, our cat Muffin walked along the top of the corral fence. I let him go so he could investigate but she ran off when she saw him coming.

Here are some pictures of Wildairo having a rag waved about him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Final humiliation.
Photobucket

Followed by a good scratching.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Flags work wonders. Have you watched the DVD with Kitty Lauman. She does wonderful things with a flag. I used a flag alot with Sierra at first. Nothing much has fazed her since.

nikki said...

I just love that last picture!!! Horses are so funny with their scratches! Does Wildairo like his butt scratched too? Tabasco and Sundance will back their butts into you to get their's scratched lol.

Linda said...

That Lauman video is great! I'm sure Wildairo will do well with his first trimming if your farrier is used to working with green horses and makes friends with him. I found that keeping the lead rope loose helped Beatiful--some people don't use a halter at all on a first trim for the same reason. Wildairo has always come through for you, so I'm looking forward to a good story today.