My Tunes

Monday, August 25, 2008

Wildairo puts up a fight.

Photobucket

Wildairo put up one heck of a fight! Even under heavy duty sedation he really played the wild Mustang card. He was rearing, striking out with all four feet and biting. Well, he only tried to bite once, then the farrier, Jeff, hauled off and punched him in the mouth. Wildairo got a few kicks in though. Jeff said he wasn't hurt and they may have been glancing blows. Jeff said he hoped we didn't mind that he punched him and I told him I had to get rough with him myself at first. It was one hell of a fight! At one point Wildairo fell to the ground. I really think we should have all jumped on him right there and pinned him down.

I didn't take picture photos of Wildairo's brave, but loosing battle with the farrier because I was too busy trying to save my own skin. I finally fled the scene and let Brad and Jeff deal with him. I went over to Echo, who was a bit upset but still eager for company. Jeff hung on to the lead rope and really showed Wildairo who was boss. Wildairo was actually rearing up and striking with his front hooves! Wow, if wild horse fighting ever became an Olympic event Wildairo would be a contender. The nice thing about Wildairo is once you show him who's boss he's cool with it.

Photobucket

Soon as Jeff got his hoof up he stood pretty still. It seems like Wildairo is just scared of the 'stranger danger'. He will not let strange people get near him. As all you horsie people know, horses have brains that are designed so you have to train them on both sides of their bodies. But Wildairo's brain is in four parts, not two. He had to be trained for all four feet in other words!!!

Jeff was incredible! He hung in there and got the job done. He used a rope to do something with the back ones. I was hiding out with Echo so I didn't see what he did. Soon as Jeff left Wildairo gave in to the tranquilizer and spaced out. I wanted to throttle him but I didn't.

Photobucket

How can a horse be so lovable with his family and so frightened of strangers?

Photobucket

His feet look so nice now. This is not a good picture because of the sand and he was standing very oddly because of the tranquilizer. I wonder if Wildairo will ever get over his fear of strangers? Brad wasn't here the last time the farrier came and he didn't think there was a need for sedation. He was very surprised how volatile Wildairo got when he was approached by the farrier. Once Jeff was next to him with his hoof up he seemed OK. I'm thinking of using a blindfold next time. I might get one for Wildairo too.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Linda said...

Arlene--I am happy to read this in a weird way because I took a little slack from a mustang woman for not sedating my mustang for the first trimming--and that she could have "killed" herself throwing herself over backwards--but apparently, the same might have happened if I sedated her. Fact is, we're trying our best to help these guys under bad circumstances--lack of proper foot care at the BLM! My farrier requested that I not sedate--so I didn't, but he had to work with her for two hours to get the fronts done. (He'll never do that again) But it was the same thing--he had to get her respect. Lovey dovey stuff doesn't compute sometimes in their wild brains. So, he had to punch him--oh well--better than Wildairo going cripped for his whole life and having to be euthanized!!!!

arlene said...

It took Jeff about an hour to do all four. When Wildairo fell it was on his side. I think Jeff had a rope around his back feet and Wildairo was fighting it. He was getting wobberly from the drug and lost his balance. It was an all out fight between Jeff and Wildairo. Jeff wasn't letting him get away with anything. It's the only way to get Wildairo's respect.
His hooves were splayed and had big spilts so we had to get it done. I'm truly amazed that Jeff didn't leave before it was done.
When Wildairo tried to bite him, it wasn't a nip in the butt like they sometimes when their being shod. Wildairo flew at him with his mouth open and Jeff hit him in self defense. I had to do the same when we first got him. The funny thing is once you have his respect he's a very easy going horse to be around. He just loves to hang out with us.

nikki said...

Congrats for finally getting his feet trimmed! Great job and kudos to the farrier!

Linda said...

Beautiful actually landed on her side, too. I just call it going over. I think since the farrier has to be the one under there--their safety is first--and if they have to hit back in self-defense, so be it. I didn't blink an eye when my farrier took control after being struck by Beautiful. He didn't have to hit her, but he had to show her he was boss and she needed to respect him--and by the time he left, she was eating out of his hands, real gentle, and happy. It was the calmest I'd seen her eyes since I'd first gotten her. Their language is one of respect, understandably. Hopefully, Wildairo will remember him the next time he comes and submit to his leadership. At least he's got pretty feet now!!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Wow, he sure doesn't look like such a naughty boy in those last couple pictures. Glad you got it done. Hope his feet grow nice and slow so you don't have to do it again for a while!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Oh Arlene - what a day. I would imagine he won't be like that the next time. So good that your farrier stuck with it. I have punched a few in the nose when they tried to bite me including Sierra. Only had to do it once. Was so good to meet you at the fair.