My Tunes

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wildairo is a Mustang and proud of it.

Thanks to some words of wisdom from other Mustang owners I realize Wildairo's behavior is pretty normal for what he's been through in his short life. He had a whole year of being a wild Mustang living with his wild herd in Southern Oregon. Then he was chased by a helicopter into a trap. Men chased them with whips with plastic bags attached. He was separated from his family and ran through chutes to get worked over with shots and got branded. He's been rolled over on his side on a table to get his feet trimmed and to be gelded. He's been hauled at least twice by being chased into a trailer. When he arrived here he got out of the trailer sweating in fear.

I feel really honored that he trusts us. I look forward to the day when he understands I'd never let anyone in near him who'd try to hurt him. He's part of our family and he and his herd mate (horse with no name) will be taken care of, protected and loved for the rest of their lives.

When Brad came home from work there was just enough light to take a few pictures of Wildairo having his feet picked up. Most of the pictures were too blurry to publish.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Brad picked up his feet several times on each side. Wildairo wiggles about a bit and his balance isn't all that good yet. Brad said Wildairo tried really hard not to step on him. Also he never tried to kick .

As we said goodnight to Wildairo after the three of us made a big deal petting him and telling him he was a good boy, Brad was saying something about giving him a gallon of Budweiser just before Jeff comes back. Ha ha. Wildairo would drink it all down because he's a wild one alright.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got some pretty good advice from the others already, but I just wanted to add one more little suggestion. If his hooves are in need of immediate attention, you can always sedate him to get the job done, and then start to work with him so that you don't have to again in the future. Sedating him wont teach him anything, but it also won't hurt anything. He will still be coherent and know what is going on. Good luck with everything, I always enjoy reading what you have been up to. Can't wait to see the new guy once he arrives. :)

arlene said...

Thanks so much Eric,
We will consider that. I regret waiting as long as I did now. I thought if we halter broke him and got him used to having his feet picked up, he'd be OK. I knew he'd be a nervous of the farrier but I never guessed he'd be that scared. I thought the farrier could pet him and talk to him for awhile and Wildairo would be Ok. It seemed the longer the farrier was there the less Wildairo trusted him. The farrier is a really nice guy, not at all scarey looking.

Linda said...

Yeah, I don't think it's an issue with the farrier--Beautiful had a problem with the nice little lady farrier who wouldn't hurt a flea.

I had to think seriously about sedating also--and if it had gone on longer I would have, but I felt it was worth a try without it first--and I got lucky that my farrier put in the two hours.

My thinking was that a vet with a needle might be just as difficult for her to handle--but maybe not--maybe there's another way to do it. I had a lot of encouragement to do the sedation--and I'll never know if it would have been better.

Do you think your husband could do the trim? We're studying up on it and Tully (the female farrier) really encouraged me to purchase my own rasp and do it myself and go longer between trims.

Did the farrier give you a time-frame for when they HAVE to be done?

arlene said...

Linda,
No, the farrier didn't give me anytime frame about how long he'll be good on those long hooves. I'd say he's good for at least a few more weeks because he doesn't move about much to put too much strain on thing's.

I'd like Jeff, the farrier, to show Brad how to take some off so they don't just bust off because we have rocks in our corrals. Even some bedrock I think.

I think I'll take another week to really work on Wildairo then ask Jeff to come back. I'm going to town getting Wildairo used to being stressed out. He trusts us so he's very forgiving. I'm going to be more aggressive with his training and have Brad pick his feet out often and to bang about. I love picking out horses hooves but I'm not too steady on my feet yet.

Our closest vet clinic is in Ritzville but we have a mobile vet clinic that comes to Odessa. It used to come every week but they cut back. I could have that vet come by while he's in town. But how could he get near Wildairo if Wildairo gets freaked out again? I doubt the vet would let us put it in his vein. I wish we could do it because Brad and I give shots to horses, cattle and can draw blood or start an IV. Poor Wildairo, he's a gentle soul he's just scared of strangers.

We'll figure something out. I'm so worried because I want to take good care of him.